Tuesday, March 8, 2011

In Cold Blood: Personal Review

Personal Review:
            Truman Capote’s novel, In Cold Blood, would have to be one of the least enticing novels in my opinion. Even though I am an avid mystery novel reader, I was not used to the way Capote wrote his novel. Most of the mystery novels I have read usually do not reveal the murderers and the victims. Of course since this novel is based on a true story, I presume it is the only way to write about a true story that many people have already heard about. However, I do like Capote’s writing style. I have read Breakfast at Tiffany’s and have thoroughly enjoyed every flip of the page. I think that if Capote had written a fiction similar to the Clutter murders then I probably would be more enthralled in the book because I would not have prior knowledge about the killers and the victims. Overall, I think this book was okay, and I definitely enjoyed Capote’s writing style. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the book was not the most exciting book I have ever read either. However, even though the reader already knew who the murderers and victims were, Capote doesn't fully explain the murder until the end, which adds suspense to the story. I think that you should add some examples to back up your claim because I feel like the book actually was suspenseful. Also, like Capote said in his novel, not many people knew about the murders because they were too preoccupied with the next big thing that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although this is not one of the best books that I have read, I disagree with your statement that this one of the least enticing novels. I am fond of the way that Truman Capote goes back and forth from the investigation of the murders to what the killers are doing because it permits for the development of two plot lines that eventually meet in the end. By having the story describe what the killers are up to, it gives the reader a chance to have a better understanding of the murderers by giving them insight in what they are feeling and planning to do before and after they commit the crime, which could not be possible if they were just labeled as the killers at the end of the story. It also makes this book unique and stand out from all the other normal mystery novels that follow the same format of telling who the victims and killers are at the end of the plot because it enables for Capote to bring about a new and fresh way of illustrating this horrific crime.

    ReplyDelete